Monday, September 29, 2014

#Health Info: Corneal Infection

On 25 September, I can't open my right eyelid. I thought it was nothing serious. However, when I look into the mirror, I realised my eye was as red as bloodshot. I decided to consult GP clinic nearby my residential area. At the clinic, the GP doctor referred me to Tan Tock Seng Hospital A & E as I'm having corneal infection and required immediate medical attention. If not, I may lost my vision. Hearing that without hesitation I took the letter and rushed to A&E.

At the A&E, I was referred to the hospital's Eye Clinic. Initially I was given 3 days medical leave from 25-27 September.  Since then I was told to visit the clinic daily including Sunday.

On 28 September, my medical leave extended till 02 October. I need to put the eye drop hourly inclusive bedtime. In between sleep, I will wake up to put the eye drops and ointment. The pain still exist but professional claimed its getting better. However, on 29 September I realised there is a small white patch on the cornea area.

Till today my eyes still the same. 


 Let me share with you what is Corneal Infection. 

What is a Corneal Infection?
A corneal infection is an infection of the cornea, the dear section of the eyeball that allow lights into the eye. Infections for can be due to micro-organisms such as bacteria, fungus, parasites - acanthamoeba & microsporidia, and viruses such as herpes simplex.

What causes Corneal Infections?
Poor contact lens hygiene is the most common cause of corneal infections in Singapore. The yearly incidence of infections related to contact lens wear varies between 1 in 10 000 hard contact lens users, 4 in 10 000 soft contact lense related infections to 22 in 10 000 extended wear contact lens wearers. The yearly incidence of vision loss from contact lens related infections has been estimated to be approximately 0.6 in 10 000 users in studies carried out in Australia and India.

Corneal infections usually occur because of exposure to bacterial, viral or microbiological agents that cause the eyes to become red and swollen. In severe cases, it can cause changes to the corneal shape and leading to astigmatism, opacification of the cornea from scarring or a combination of both.

Apart from contact lens related infections, infections can also occur due to existing abnormalities or disturbances of the eye surface or cornea or in case of eye injury.

The information was from Singapore National Eye Centre.

No comments: