Wednesday, May 03, 2023

#Random; Life as a Stroke Patient

It has been a long time since my last post. I have to go through one after another till I got tired of it it. The therapist helps me a lot and I was told that this time my recovery will be longer than I expected. The therapists, sure nurses, psychiatrists, and even the medical social worker gave me the motivated support I needed most. 

From TTSH (Tan Tock Seng Hospital) to THKCH (Thye Hua Kwan Community Hospital) to TTSH again then to Ren Ci Community Hospital. I was under their supervision from Sep 2022 until 29 Jan 2023. I was visually interviewed when I was at TTSH. I may get the job as my contract ended on 31 Oct 2022. I was then sent to THKCH for a full recovery. Just a week or two before I was supposed to be discharged. My left eyesight turns blurred and black. Goodness, I was panicking and was rushed to TTSH again. This time my left side was heavier, difficult to walk and my right side cannot synchronize with the left side of the brain. I felt worthless and had no point to recover.

My beloved mum visited me at Level 9 TTSH with my dad. That was the last time she visited me with so much advice and motivation. Until now her inspiration is still fresh with me. She has gone forever on 28 October 2022. I was not allowed to visit her till her last day at Level 6 TTSH when I was only at Level 9. I was only given 30 minutes to pay her last respect. From level 9 I was wheeled down by a nurse to Level 6 where my late mum was. Daily I was sponged and changed by the nurse. I felt worthless and thought of negativities.

I was then sent to Ren Ci Community Hospital for a full recovery. But I wasted that opportunity. I hated the loud voice therapist and refused to eat or drink until I met therapists Nurul, Fiza, Lynn, and a few others. Thank you for always being there for me. 

The Ren Ci Community Hospital is also part of TTSH. There you are allowed to bathe once. The bedsheets and blankets are changed only every Tuesday and Sunday. The therapy is only every Monday to Friday. I cannot properly walk, and on weekends I was left alone. 

One day when I kept soiling my diapers, especially at night. The nurses became unhappy with my presence. I do not like to trouble anyone. It was beyond me. Two Malaysian Indian nurses and one Singapore-plump Malay janitor were discussing this.

"She just change her diaper now change again.".
"Menyusahkan orang jer. Mati tak nak."

I was very sad by such remarks given by the nurses and janitor. I will never forget how I was treated there. I tried to Miss Nice but mistook my softness as my weakness. It is quite sad to leave Ren Ci but it is better for me to be home and do the therapy near my home. 

Now each day I am better and hopefully, I can be in the workforce soon. It is also up to you to make your own judgment to leave your beloved elderly at Ren Ci Community Hospital or not.

No comments: